Distribution Center Assistant Manager
We’re hiring! Mastermind Toys - Canada’s Authority on Play - has big plans and we want YOU to join our growing team! We have a customer-obsessed culture, which we believe starts with employee experience. You’ll join an innovative, agile team of kids-at-heart—passionate about sparking wonder and new discoveries with everything we do. We jump at the chance to co-create with our customers and employees, while staying true to our Canadian roots. Over 37 years later, Mastermind Toys is the nation’s largest specialty toy and children’s bookstore, and we deeply believe that “Play is Kids’ Work.
Our Distribution Centre is seeking a Permanent Full-Time Distribution Centre Assistant Manager to work out of our Play HQ location and be responsible for the daily operational execution of the Mastermind Toys DC and works with the Logistics team Managers and Supervisors to implement continuous improvement projects to enhance efficiency, safety, quality and service. The role also functions as the backup for the Distribution Centre Manager as required. The hybrid work model is not available for this position. The successful candidate is required to be on site.
- Supports the successful execution of all distribution-related activities including but not limited to: shipment scheduling, receiving, sorting, counting, pricing, put away, replenishment, order fulfillment and dispatching.
- Supports the Allocation and Buying teams in the prioritization of inbound and outbound inventory according to the marketing plan.
- Monitors distribution performance benchmarks and provides input to operational and strategic decisions.
- Ensures adequate labour availability to meet forecast volumes.
- Participates in the vendor and 3PL service selection process.
- Leads assigned distribution-related projects from inception through completion.
- Evaluates DC performance, provides insights into operational results and recommends solutions to improve performance.
- Coaches, mentors, and develops employees, both direct and indirect, ensuring that effective development and succession plans are created to enhance the distribution team’s engagement, capabilities, and competencies.
- Develops and provides training on workplace SOPs to ensure staff adherence with health and safety policies, certification requirements, company policies, and warehouse best practices.
- Provides operational direction, support, feedback, and performance management to direct reports.
- Facilitates team engagement through open communication, recognition and feedback.
- Works with the Maintenance & Construction Coordinator to initiate DC maintenance and repairs.
- Follows established best practices, quality standards, compliance requirements, and health and safety to ensure procedures are all adhered to and addresses any areas of concern when they arise.
- Monitors vendor compliance, ensuring that proper processes and documentation are maintained.
- Ensures that all shipments comply with transportation regulations and customer expectations (internal/external).
- Understands all processes and legislation required to ensure safe work practices.
- Is proactive in research and self-development to provide best-in-class knowledge with industry standards and trends.
- Checks and approves assigned invoices to confirm accurate billing.
- High school diploma required
- Post-secondary designation in supply chain, warehousing, distribution, or logistics preferred
- At least three years comparable warehouse/logistics administration experience
- At least one year of direct experience in supervisory role
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a fast-paced, high-pressure and dynamic environment
- Strong understanding of warehouse metrics and how they support supply chain objectives
- Strong leadership capabilities, including training and development of subordinates
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive when dealing with issues and challenges
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with ERP/WMS
- Forklift certification preferred
- Health and safety certification preferred
- First aid certification preferred
Please note, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption.
Mastermind Toys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Upon request, Mastermind Toys will, in consultation with the applicant, determine the nature of any accommodation that may be required.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in Mastermind; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants should send their job application email@example.com