We’re hiring! Mastermind Toys - Canada’s Authority on Play - has big plans and we want YOU to join our growing team! We have a customer-obsessed culture, which we believe starts with employee experience. We jump at the chance to co-create with our customers and employees, while staying true to our Canadian roots. Over 38 years later, Mastermind Toys is the nation’s largest specialty toy and children’s bookstore, and we deeply believe that “Play is Kids’ Work.
We are currently seeking a Head of IT-Operations to join our IT Teamat our Play HQ location.
This person will be responsible for the planning, implementation and maintenance of all Information Technology services and support across the company. Leads and directs the execution of core Information Technology department activities along with strategic and tactical initiatives.
Information Technology operations:
- Plans and executes the management of all IT-related services throughout the company.
- Provides escalated internal IT support as needed (e.g., security, software updates, hardware maintenance and upgrades) for all locations
- Oversees the ongoing maintenance and sustainment of information systems and technology solutions and leads key strategic initiatives to support business priorities
- Actively participates in resource planning to ensure that production solutions meet or exceed service quality requirements
- Leads the selection of standard technology implemented at Stores, Web, DC and Play HQ that supports key objectives, improves corporate communication, access to information and end-user productivity
- Plans capacity for network bandwidth, storage, messaging, website and other business applications. Takes actions as appropriate to provide of stable, reliable and productive IT systems
- Participates in budgeting for all department resources (people, hardware, software, consultants, support agreements and other IT-related costs)
- Organizes user training and ensures that appropriate documentation and subject matter expert resources are available
End user support – directly and through others:
- Ensures that all support incidents from users are logged and tracked
- Ensures that any actions appropriate to maintain or restore services is taken immediately and communicated to stakeholders
- Develops knowledge base of problem resolutions, errors and workarounds as per best practices
- Recommends to Leadership Team resolutions to ongoing issues, re-occurring system concerns, etc.
- Acts as a liaison between Stores, DC and Play HQ and third-party providers
Maintenance and operations – directly and through others:
- Maintains information about IT infrastructure and components, including provision and maintenance of documentation and user manuals
- Documents all changes made when resolving issues, installing upgrades, and releasing new services
- Oversees the maintenance of user accounts and system access privileges
- Monitors infrastructure for potential incidents - i.e., performance issues, security threats, hardware or software failures, and physical environment changes
- Oversees cybersecurity program
Infrastructure support – directly and through others:
- Oversees the testing, and implements the releases of, new infrastructure components (desktops, laptops, POS equipment, network devices, telecommunication equipment, software, upgrades and patches) and services to the live environment for all locations
- Creates and maintains all documentation associated with new releases
Staff training and development:
- Plans and organizes the recruitment and selection of qualified staff using established processes, and monitors results
- Plans and organizes the orientation and ongoing training of staff to support Mastermind customer experience and attain operational efficiency
- Participates in the evaluation and coaching of staff performance including daily observation and redirection; identifies skill gaps, compliance issues and conducts formalized performance review processes
- Ensure that IT department stays within operating budgets, with an ongoing goal of maximizing long-term returns on IT investments
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or Information Technology
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing infrastructure operations for medium to large scale retail, CPG, or wholesaling systems across multiple hardware and software platforms
- Accomplished technologist, skilled in architecture, network engineering, disaster recovery and business continuity, regulatory compliance (like PCI-DSS) and cloud computing (SaaS)
- Solid understanding of a variety of support desk system applications is desirable (Spiceworks, ZenDesk, Incident Monitor) and how to effectively use these applications to improve service
- Strong background in emerging technologies (e.g., IT security, RPA and cloud computing)
- Proven knowledge of managing mixed environment of Windows operating systems, Linux, Client-Server (Terminal Services, Citrix) and Web architectures, business applications, MS-SQL and My SQL Databases, Firewalls, Windows Server, Exchange Server, MPLS, Last Mile, Information Security tools and applications, network management, and intermediate understanding of IT operations and best practices (ITIL Intermediate)
- Demonstrated business acumen, analytical ability, accuracy, problem solving and judgement skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Hybrid work model is available for many of our positions.
Please note, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption.
Mastermind Toys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
If you require any accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in Mastermind Toys; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Resumes can be submitted to email@example.com