Head of Logistics
"We’re hiring! Mastermind Toys - Canada’s Authority on Play - has big plans and we want YOU to join our growing team! We have a customer-obsessed culture, which we believe starts with employee experience. We jump at the chance to co-create with our customers and employees, while staying true to our Canadian roots. Over 38 years later, Mastermind Toys is the nation’s largest specialty toy and children’s bookstore, and we deeply believe that “Play is Kids’ Work”.
We are currently seeking a Head of Logistics to join our team. The successful candidate must be able to be on site daily at our head office located in Scarborough, as this position is not hybrid in nature
This individual will oversee the management of the Distribution Centre, Transportation and e-Commerce fulfillment functions, and be responsible for the strategic planning, execution and control of DC operations, third party logistics and other service providers.
DC and e-Commerce Operations
- Plans, forecasts and establishes best practices in all DC operations. Works closely with DC Manager to create work assignments and optimize item slotting to maximize productivity.
- Plans, organizes and implements e-Commerce operations. Establishes all operational standards, requirements, and processes. Actively seeks opportunities to minimize costs and order time-to-fill and increase picking / packing efficiencies and customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for all aspects of outbound freight and customer delivery vendor management.
- Maximizes throughput and minimizes costs, particularly during critical high-volume sales periods.
- Manages store and vendor returns processes, making changes as required
- Ensures that all areas are in compliance with all health and safety legislation and standards and maintains physical condition of DC by ensuring appropriate investments are made in plant and equipment, and in regular preventative maintenance. Serves as management representative on the Joint Health and Safety Committee and may be required to be a trained first aider in the facility
- Plans and ensures execution of new / temp store product and materials (picks and skid assembly), working with Store Operations team to ensure timely delivery
- Safeguards DC by establishing security procedures and protocols.
- Oversees inventory control through cycle count processes and reconciliation with system data
- Work with department Supervisors to monitor labour, productivity, quality of work and financial results and makes adjustments as required. Develops key performance indicators to measure effectiveness.
- Responsible for vendor compliance reporting / score carding
Third Party Logistics Management
- Integrates corporate strategy, financial goals and objectives into the planning and execution of inventory movement within the chain. Establishes best practices to govern all in- and outbound product movement
- Manages the requirements and costs/billing, vendor compliance and performance associated with 3PL (Third Party Logistics) and freight carriers to ensure the attainment of efficiency and effectiveness goals. Actively involved in all tenders and establishment of relationships with 3PL and related vendors
- Manages all aspects of store delivery including the relationship with carriers; the establishment of delivery schedules; the collection of and reporting on store feedback and the resolution of store problems. Acts as the voice of the store to ensure their interests are being met and freight is being delivered in a timely and safe manner. Provides Q4 forecasts to carriers and establishes plans for multiple deliveries at peak.
- Responsible for planning, determining priorities, calculating requirements to generate 3PL forecasts on which planning, and execution will be based, including inventory out and inventory re-balancing projects. Creates structures and processes that support flexibility and responsiveness of logistics function.
- Plans and executes new store deliveries including negotiations with carriers, establishment of delivery schedules, tracking of outbound skids and supervision of deliveries, either on site or remotely.
- Manages domestic portion of the offshore import program. Establishes and communicates priorities, tracks shipments and provides estimates to stakeholders of shipment delivery date and contents. Provide feedback to Canadian Retail Shippers’ Association and their 3PL on shipment accuracy and quality.
- Manages relationships with 3PL and other stakeholders. Internally initiates communication processes with Allocation, Purchasing and Store Operations to ensure the needs of all stakeholders are considered
- Determines reporting requirements and create ongoing and ad hoc reports to support decision making and communication
Staff Training and Development
- Plans and organizes the recruitment, selection, orientation, training and ongoing instruction of staff to support the Mastermind customer experience philosophy and attain operational efficiency
- Communicates directly and through others regarding current and upcoming initiatives, changes in processes, and actively gathers input from associates
- Provides direct supervision to assigned staff, determining and monitoring work to standards. Works directly with supervisory team to determine fulfilment staff requirements, plan assignments and follow up to ensure completion, accuracy and timeliness
- Responsible for all related regular and ad hoc reporting associated with DC and Web operations
- Participates in projects with a variety of stakeholders impacting DC, Web and inventory processes
- Communicates regularly with all Play HQ departments to facilitate receipt, storage, movement of goods.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma required Business/Finance, Supply Chain, e-Commerce
- Minimum 5 years comparable warehouse/logistics administration experience at a management level overseeing a group of staff with demonstrated ability to create work structures, organize work flows and get work done through others
- Proficiency with Windows applications. Microsoft Dynamics NAV experience a strong asset.
- Health and safety certification preferred
- Demonstrated understanding and application of knowledge of business acumen; impact of department across the full business including all internal customers. Able to work productively cross functionally.
- Demonstrated ability and interest to provide exceptional quality customer focused service
- Strong and clear verbal and written communication and organizational skills
Please note, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption.
Mastermind Toys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Upon request, Mastermind Toys will, in consultation with the applicant, determine the nature of any accommodation that may be required.
If you require any accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Resumes can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org