IT Business Analyst
We’re hiring! Mastermind Toys - Canada’s Authority on Play - has big plans and we want YOU to join our growing team! We have a customer-obsessed culture, which we believe starts with employee experience. You’ll join an innovative, agile team of kids-at-heart—passionate about sparking wonder and new discoveries with everything we do. We jump at the chance to co-create with our customers and employees, while staying true to our Canadian roots. Over 37 years later, Mastermind Toys is the nation’s largest specialty toy and children’s bookstore, and we deeply believe that “Play is Kids’ Work.
The Mastermind Toys marketing team is responsible for building brand equity and growing new users. We are currently seeking an IT Business Analyst to join our Digital & Customer Experience Team on a 12-month contract.
This individual will be responsible for eliciting, gathering, and documenting business requirements for various IT projects.
Lead the definition and documentation of business requirements and user stories, with a particular focus on enhancements to our ERP system
Own end-to-end creation and documentation of project business requirements for both strategic cross-functional projects and enhancements to existing systems & capabilities
- Plan and schedule stakeholder interviews; conduct effective interviews to ensure a comprehensive understanding of business needs and desires
- Draft and refine business requirements (and/or user stories) documentation
- Drive collaborative prioritization of business requirements together with project stakeholders and define “MVP”
- Create end user, technical documentation and procedures related to assigned tasks or projects
Develop and demonstrate necessary contextual knowledge to actively drive requirements gathering
- Understand and document current state and future state of business processes
- Develop a sufficient understanding of current system capabilities (including ERP system)
- Develop knowledge of core retail business model and processes to work effectively with business stakeholders
- Support varying development methodologies
- Demonstrate flexibility to adjust documentation to support business requirements or user stories, depending on the project and stakeholders / delivery teams
Support project management
- Create workplan with manager to balance multiple concurrent priorities
- Work with PM and leadership to support and contribute to project timelines
- Assist with identification and mitigation of project risks and issues
- Work on security initiatives to ensure ERP and other systems are not exposed to risks
- Liaise with IT team including UAT Lead to assist with testing planning
- Liaise with Digital team for project workstreams impacting our Digital channels
- University degree and minimum 5 years comparable experience
- Proven experience documenting requirements for large software development projects
- Experience supporting multiple overlapping projects and priorities
- Expert level documentation & communication skills including clarity of writing and ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders including various business, IT and 3rd party agency stakeholders
- Familiarity with both Agile and Waterfall software development methodologies
- Ability to bring innovation and a customer-centric mindset to projects
- Retail experience preferred but not required
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 (or other ERP systems) preferred but not require
- Proficiency with relevant software applications (MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS Excel, JIRA, project planning / collaboration software)
Hybrid work model is available for many of our positions.
Please note, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption.
Interested applicants should send their job application firstname.lastname@example.org
Mastermind Toys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Upon request, Mastermind Toys will, in consultation with the applicant, determine the nature of any accommodation that may be required.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in Mastermind; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.