Retail - Store Manager | Oshawa, ON
We’re hiring! Mastermind Toys - the Most Innovative Retailer of 2020 and Canada’s Authority on Play and we want YOU to join our growing team! We have a customer-obsessed culture, which we believe starts with employee experience. You’ll join an innovative, agile team of kids-at-heart—passionate about sparking wonder and new discoveries with everything we do. We jump at the chance to co-create with our customers and employees, while staying true to our Canadian roots. Over 36 years later, Mastermind Toys is the nation’s largest specialty toy and children’s bookstore, and we deeply believe that “Play is Kids’ Work.
We are currently seeking a Store Manager to join our Oshawa, ONlocation.
- Demonstrate sound retail business acumen and has prime responsibility to lead the achievement of expected business and financial objectives through planning, communicating, implementing and assessing actions that contribute to the profitability, success and growth of the store. Actively and directly involved in working on the sales floor providing service to customers and completing store operational tasks
- Understand and make decisions consistent to company vision and pillars of operation; key objectives; regional goals, store budget, goals and KPI(s). Analyze results and initiate actions to achieve goals
- Oversee and lead all efforts that support consumers to make a purchase decision best for them and to develop an ongoing positive relationship such that the Mastermind store is their top of mind preferred destination for toys & books.
- Actively manage all controllable costs including labour, supplies and related costs
- Demonstrate understanding and impact of retail environment; local market competition; impact on business; and take action appropriate to maximize business opportunities within span of control
- Manage the community outreach program; pro-actively identifying and working with community partners to establish Mastermind store as a responsible community partner while delivering contribution to the business
- Responsible to manage and execute processes that safeguard the assets of the business
- Escalate material or potentially material issues impacting the stable, profitable administration of the store.
- Plan & organize the recruitment & selection of qualified people using established processes to adequately staff store in a manner that enhances the store reputation and maintains a positive, honest and respectful workplace culture
- Responsible to ensure the completion of hiring/termination/status change processes and ensure staff members keep personal employment related information current in the system
- Create, communicate/post shift schedules consistent with budget allocation ensuring coverage supports the provision of the Mastermind customer service philosophy and allows the completion of store operational tasks and project activities
- Manage the review and confirmation of staff working hours’ payable via daily authorization of all staff shifts. Bi-weekly in keeping with established deadlines is responsible to ensure the commitment of authorized work hours for payment.
- Lead and support Coaching Circles as the foundation of the continuous learning culture and sharing of knowledge; train coaches, set goals and ensure that all training activities/projects flow through the Coaching Circle system
- Plan and lead the orientation, training and ongoing instruction of staff ensuring that all staff are confident, competent, satisfied and able to deliver the Mastermind customer experience. Ensure staff is current with Mastermind Academy modules and other training programs. Continuously evaluate product knowledge taking steps appropriate to enhance knowledge of individuals
- Evaluate, coach and counsel staff performance through daily observation & redirection; identification and communication to actively resolve skill gaps, and complete formal performance reviews. Consult with HR partners to provide performance documentation and/or make decisions regarding corrective action required
- Responsible to ensure regular communication to staff (appropriate company information, key objectives, accomplishments and upcoming projects) at shift starts; on the sales floor; and, through documentation on employee information board
- Responsible to ensure that all practices and processes in store are consistent with HR policies meeting legislative requirements including those related to employment standards, human rights, health and safety
- Plan, manage and lead the communication of expectations to the team related to the provision of best practice for store operations activities ensuring that decisions result in shopping experiences that are better than expected. Responsible to make decisions that, as feasible, will satisfy customer expectations; make decisions escalated from sales team
- Oversee and is responsible for the recording, accuracy and timeliness of inventory movement in and out of the store. Oversee bi-annual and ad hoc inventory counts
- Manage completion of administrative processes including store opening/closing, cash handling and related documentation
- Decide and create structure to optimize staff assignments supporting a consistently welcoming and positive shopping environment where individual customer expectations are fulfilled
- Manage the execution of merchandising standards, campaign set ups, signage, pricing in keeping with requirements Responsible to make decisions that ensure product presentation is neat, clean, well faced, full, organized and accessible
- Manage the regular maintenance of the physical building to meet store standards including for example, lighting, cleaning, shelving, business and security systems in full operation
- Responsible for management of the security systems and protocols. Safeguard staff, customers & product through the management of pro-active assistance; zone management; compliance with loss prevention and health and safety; store maintenance & emergency procedures
- Management representative on the health & safety committee and First Aid programs
- Responsible to ensure full compliance to Mastermind policies and process across all in-store activities
- May be required to work at other local store, attend meetings at National Support Center location or other locations
Mastermind Toys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Upon request, Mastermind Toys will, in consultation with the applicant, determine the nature of any accommodation that may be required.
Please apply by sending your resume to: LWinch@mastermindtoys.com